Another Whirlwind January

We're almost through the first month of the New Year sneaky readers! And so far this year I have been thrilled with everything that has been happening for me here in Boston. Uncle Vanya has opened and closed and it was an amazing experience in every way. The show was very fun to do. I loved having the audience so close and moving from room to room and it was very well received in the press. This is the first time I've ever really been reviewed by news sources and it was really exciting for me to see what people were writing. As actors we sometimes have varying views about reading these things, as a bad review can sometimes wreck someones confidence about the choices they made in the show etc... but for me I don't think its an issue. So below (forgive me this bit of shameless self- promotion) is everything that was written about me that I could find. And keep in mind this is mostly for my benefit and so my friends and family can see it all in one place. If you don't like reviews that is awesome too.

"With the exception of Sonya, none of the major characters are very likable or sympathetic, but the actors offer convincing portrayals, warts and all. Butcher brings out Sonya's sunny optimism even in the face of rejection and total unhappiness."~Nancy Grossman

"Erin Eva Butcher’s Sonya is too confident, and hardly plain, but she has some weight in her voice, and her closing soliloquy is quite affecting. (If only her last line had been accurately rendered as “We will rest’’ and not “We will have peace.’’)"~ Jeffrey Gantz- The Boston Globe

"For total contrast there is Erin Eva Butcher's Sonya, Serebriakov's daughter, who knows herself to be plain yet loves and yearns to be loved. When the two young women meet early in Act One, their smiles are very different. Elena's shows she has always known herself a beauty, the center of attention. Sonya's has the internalized radiance of innocent sincerity. Sonya has stayed on helping her uncle run the farm, yet her secret love cannot stay hidden long."~ Larry Stark- Theatre Mirror

"while Erin Eva Butcher captures the tragic hopelessness of willing sacrifice."~Beverly Creasy

"Sonya (Erin Eva Butcher) provides a steady, calming influence amongst the irrationality of the house. Erin Eva Butcher’s innocence and beauty adds a sorrowful resonance as she pines after the doctor, Astrov" ~Becca Kidwell- New England Theatre Geek

"Viewed this up-close and personal, and acted with heartbreaking naturalism by a toned-down Kuntz and a very touching Erin Eva Butcher, the conclusion moved me to tears."~ Carolyn Clay- The Phoenix

"Kevin Fennessy as Telegin, a man who lost everything but kept his pride, and Erin Eva Butcher, who finds dignity as the suffering Sonya, are also worthy of mention."~ The Patriot Ledger

"Meanwhile Erin Eva Butcher came through at the last second (with real tears) as Sonya, but till then didn't always seem connected to her character" Thomas Garvey

"John Kuntz, as Vanya, and Erin Eva Butcher, as Sonya, give a remarkable performance in the last scene as they, tearfully, accept their fate and withdraw into their previous existence. The depth of their committment was evident in their faces through the scene and into the curtain call."~ NSFootlights

So there they are. The good, the bad, and the ugly. I'm just glad they were mostly good.

And outside of show land life has been pretty good. Sewing things at the costume shop, meeting people in Boston. Still attempting to pay off my credit card debt from the summer. Oy. And looking to what is next for me. I have 5 different auditions this week for various shows in Boston and am hoping I'll land one of them. I'm trying to look to the summer, I'm hoping to be doing Shakespeare somewhere in New England and am still toying with the idea of spending a month in Europe with the lovely Laura Cohen eating crepes and being awesome.

I've also started vaguely thinking about auditioning for Grad Schools next year- as in starting in the Fall of 2013. I think by then I'll be ready to go back and so I am just now starting to research what is out there and what the best place for me might be. Really I just want to make sure I have the tools to keep doing the kind of work I love. I will say though that this whole - work a full time day job while also working another practically full-time job doing a show- is starting to wear on me. It doesn't leave much time for a life. The solution of course is to start getting paid more to act so that I can cut back on my hours at work and have a bit more time. Financially though, its a bad time to be an actor and I've barely seen anything in Boston that is Non-Equity that pays more then a small stipend. Perhaps its time to think about becoming Equity then! We shall see.

That's all for now, but hopefully I'll have more time for updates now that my nights and weekends are semi-free!

Comments

Popular Posts